Basal properties and Geology
Chair and co-chair(s): Francois Fripiat, Pierre-Henri Blard
The most important scientific questions for the Beyond EPICA ice core project in the Basal properties and Geology consortium are:
● What is the origin and the dynamic of the basal unit?
● How old is the deepest part of the ice cores and implications on past ice sheet stability?
● Can we infer paleoclimatic properties and stratigraphy in disturbed deep ice?
● What can we learn on subglacial environments?
● What types of pre-glacial ecosystems emerge?
● What is the subglacial geology (mineralogy and memory hold in grains of substratum-ice interactions)?
● What is the timing and duration of previous deglaciated periods (using dating by cosmogenic nuclides 10Be, 21Ne, 26Al and luminescence methods)?